Monday 16 August 2004

Kerplunk*

A couple of weeks ago, we posted about some new developments in the world of comics. And another of our illustrious pen pals, cartoonist Jef Mallet (check out the link to his wonderful strip, Frazz on the left), wrote in to say:
Those are fascinating. This is a weird business, and it evolves like any weird business. I'm not thrilled with the trend toward ultrasimplistic artwork -- I think readers deserve more -- but maybe there's too much sublety in a good cartoon. After all, this is the age of digitized computer special effects -- big and splashy, if not especially deep. Cartoons are quieter. I shouldn't be surprised if there's a tendency to say what the hell and do them the easy way.
But you'll have to forgive me if I choose not to be a part of that trend. And if it costs me my career, I'll go down proud. But I bet it won't.
Thanks for passing those along!
Jef
*The sound of a name dropping, yet again.

No comments: